Monday, May 11, 2020

Threat to Congregational Singing

I know I have been over-concerned (my nature) with what we're being told about singing together in public. Having spent my entire career encouraging people to sing together in choirs and especially in congregations, the thought that we are being discouraged from singing in worship for several months (up to 2 years) when we go back "to church" has weighed heavily upon me.
One of the things I've wanted to do in my retirement is create more hymn texts and anthem texts... and do whatever I can to keep hymn-singing a living organism, central to the liturgy (what the PEOPLE do in worship). Suddenly, I realize that anything I produce will likely lie dormant in a file drawer or a computer file. I fear for the life of publishing companies who up until March 2020 were committed to providing choral and congregational music.
This "warning" about communal singing has been applied to schools and community choruses as well. In other words, we may not hear choirs singing in person for quite a long time.
This quote from the pastor of the local United Methodist Church from his sermon yesterday made me realize that Kevin Tullywas "preaching to me" -- wording something I needed to hear: There is a threat that I am about to lose something that I/we have taken for granted all our lives -- singing together! Who would have ever imagined that the church would meet without sung music... especially from the pews (or padded chairs) ... or that we might not go down the street to hear school choir concert?
I always said I did my ministry for God first, seeking his pleasure not necessarily that of the people -- not always a popular stance, by the way! But I guess I will keep writing texts (and occasional tunes) just in case we are once again encouraged to usher back into our sanctuaries the participation of our people... lots of people, not just miked ensembles... in the singing of songs, hymns and spiritual songs -- from our throats and not just our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)