Thursday, May 21, 2020

“Following him, I know I’m right.”


“Following him, I know I’m right.”

Hymn: “Jesus Is All the World to Me”
Words and Music: Will Thompson (1847-1909)
Tune: ELIZABETH

This is one of the first songs I sang in church. 70+ years ago, mama taught me this song, stood me on the stage, and I sang it unaccompanied – probably so I could find a good key!

This Hymn Line bothers me every time I sing it. Does it bring up some questions in your mind as well? It seems a little self-assured… even arrogant… as if we are saying, “As long as I’m a follower of Jesus, I am always right. So there!” Surely that’s not what Thompson meant – hopefully not what he intended.

If “right” means I am rightly-related to Christ… that I am righteous because of I followed him into the great salvation process — if that’s what is meant, I can sing this line with enthusiasm.

However, being “right” sometimes means that one has the correct opinion/answer… and that others’ differing views and beliefs are therefore wrong. We see a LOT of this in our divided culture and politics; and sometimes those who consider themselves “right” take that position because they are followers of Christ.

We have to re-follow Christ at every juncture. Following Christ into the Kingdom is initial; but upping that followship is required every time we have to make a decision as to what is right or wrong… valid or invalid… for good or for ill… for the best. If and when I have sought the divine leadership and follow it, then I may come away with an assurance that indeed this decision is the right one – for ME!

You have to admit: To believe I’m always right just because I’m a Christ-follower is a little scary; no it’s a LOT scary.

But to “go to him” for direction “o’er and o’er” on this life journey – seeking what is right – THAT seems a valid approach. And when we realize we were wrong, we need to admit that and move back to square one…and re-follow again. [Theologically, that is not redundant!]

Continuously following Christ I can know that I am in a right-relationship with him. Re-following Christ, I can make better decisions, take more legitimate stands for what is right, and more confidently reflect the image of the Friend who is all the world to me – my life, my joy, my all.


Listen to This Hymn: https://youtu.be/jh6TR7Szlgc

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)