Thursday, April 23, 2020

“God gives a song in the night season…”


“God gives a song in the night season…”


HYMN: “God Leads Us Along” – G. A. Young (1855-1935)
TUNE: GOD LEADS US

This one may go further into the gospel song realm than some of you have lived. Though not included in any of the hymnals we used in my home church, I learned it at local Saturday night “singings” held at the even-more-rural churches in the area. However, I find that many people know and love this lilting shepherd song that has appeared in 83 hymnals.

During these weeks of sheltering-in-place to avoid the Corona Virus, God seems to be giving people a lot of songs… new songs… and these are being shared en masse. For some of us, the song that God gives during this night season is an old, familiar one – one that has ministered to us over the years and continues to do so. From “O God, Our Help in Ages Past” to “In Times Like These,” many of us have found solace and hope in that other sacred book: the hymnal.

A couple of years ago, Mary McDonald and I did an anthem entitled “Stay Strong.” It had a powerful back-story and gained a pretty good purchase base. The refrain really could have been the theme song of this period in the world’s history. [I’m attaching the audio below.]

In the middle of that recurring section, this line comes up: “The stress of life may take away your song.” It is probably the pivotal phrase of the entire piece; it is certainly the one that more people have latched onto as that song developed into their dearly-kept repertoire!

As we approached this period of being isolated, I thought to myself: “I’ll use this time to write! I’ll have lots of bonus time on my hands, so I’ll turn out lots of new hymn and anthem texts.” Sure enough, the first one I turned out and posted online [“Hymn for Streamed Worship”] has been sung all over the world… literally. But then, with Elijah I seem to have had one of those “the heavens are as brass” kind of dilemmas: nothing seemed to spin its way out of my Bic.

Composer friends of mine have turned out some real masterpieces during these days and have posted those on Facebook. But me? Nah! I have worked my way back into some previous texts that have lain dormant, but nothing new has come my way. It has made me wonder if my words from a couple of years ago have come to pass; has the stress of life taken away my song?

As a creator of texts, maybe so. But as a LOVER of texts, never! I have fallen back on my brain/heart-stored collection of hymns, and the lines from those congregational songs have continued to restore my soul, to lead me by still waters into green pastures, to prepare a table before me.

I hope that is true of you – that you are relying big-time on the songs you know… and maybe grabbing a songbook to learn some that you need to know… and will turn to the next time our world comes undone and we are separated.

Like an old, dear friend, the hymnal becomes our hiding place… our strengthening place – our reminder that we truly can “Stay Strong.”

“God of grace and glory, in this night season – continue to give us a song… your song. Amen.”
____________

This Hymn from Gaither Homecoming

"Stay Strong" Anthem


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)