Friday, September 18, 2020

“Be still, my soul, the Lord is on your side.”

 “Be still, my soul, the Lord is on your side.”


Hymn: “Be Still, My Soul” – Katharina von Schlegel (1752)
Tune: FINLANDIA (Sibelius)

From first to last, this is probably one of THE pithiest hymn texts. It seems as if every phrase is rife with good theology. Grab your hymnal and read through all the stanzas. Please “bear patiently” as we visit this first line.

The theme of this hymn is much like the well-beloved “It Is Well with My Soul” text; it does, however, approach the soul-wellness from several different angles. Like our annual wellness visit to the doctor, we might use it as a check-up of benchmarks.

How many times a week do I say to myself, “Just calm down. Take it easy. Don’t over-react. Keep your cool.” In other words, I have to re-convince my soul to be still. Usually I do this to avoid some unnecessary conflict or outburst. Often this inner-self conversation occurs in traffic!

I need to move beyond the first phrase of this hymnline to remember that I am not alone – that God is on my side. I’ve heard people say that God does not take sides. I think, on the other hand, that God is on everybody’s side... and mine is the one that matters when struggles arise.

“Fear not. The Lord is with you.” This blessed assurance appears often in scripture – so many times that it must be a message God is trying to get through to us! “The Lord is with you.” “The Lord is on your side.” “If God is for us, who can be against us?” Our souls can be stilled by comforting statements like these.

For the next few days, I’m going to repeat this hymnline as needed. It might well be just the prescription the Doctor ordered for my un-ordered life. Join me in that.

“Be still, souls. The Lord is on our side.”


Hear David Archuleta Sing This Hymn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6xHdlLIMEk

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)