Thursday, August 28, 2014

“The heart of the Eternal is most wonderfully kind.”



 
Hymn: “There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy” – Frederick W. Faber (1814-1863)
Tune: WELLESLEY, IN BABILONE

I like this hymn a lot. I LOVE the title of this hymn! I know I’m a bit nerdy, but I find myself singing the first line (“There’s a wideness in God’s mercy like the wideness of the sea.”) at many times when I recognize that God’s pity-full kindness has once again stretched itself wide enough to catch me and keep me from falling completely off the Christian grid.

The heart – the emotional center – of the Eternal One is overwhelmingly filled with kindness (which is a synonym for mercy, by the way). God’s emotional center covers a lot of bases: love, hate, jealousy, wrath, etc. Emotionally is one of the ways in which we are created in the image of God. In the case of God, the kindness is superlative – it ranks high above all those other sentiments. He is MOST wonderfully kind.

Yesterday I attended the memorial service of a local saint. His current pastor, a former pastor, a fellow chaplain, and the executive director of our state denomination spoke repeatedly of Dan McClinton’s kindness; and from my experience with this minister of music colleague, they were absolutely correct in that assessment. I felt like we should have sung the “Nobody doesn’t like Sara Lee” song from those old commercials, because Dan’s kindness drew everybody to him, and nobody didn’t like him.

I admit that as I move nearer to my own funeral – aren’t we all? – that I wonder what word will be the repeated theme at my service? I’m pretty sure it won’t be “kind,” but I wish it were. I’m too bull-headed… make that “determined”… to be considered wonderfully kind!

No human is MOST wonderfully kind. God has a corner on that market! And I’m glad he does. Otherwise, I’d be… I can’t even imagine.

                                   A Choral Arrangement of This Hymn Text

1 comment:

  1. Amen and well said. I was just meditating on that line tonight, turned to my browser to search it, and came up with your blog, a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)