Monday, June 29, 2015

“Then shall my latest breath whisper thy praise.”

Hymn: “More Love to Thee, O Christ” – Elizabeth Prentiss (1818-1878)
Tune: MORE LOVE TO THEE

The refrain of this hymn is a wonderful commitment: “This all my prayer shall be: More love, O Christ, to thee.” All the stanzas are headed toward the intention of increasing our love allowance in the direction of the Almighty.

In the context of the hymn, the word “latest” probably means “last.” But it occurred to me once while singing this wonderful hymn that it could mean my “most recent” breath. In other words, when elevating my love levels throughout my days, I might look back at my last breath… my last moment… and realize it had been praise-filled though unspoken aloud.

Yeah, you’re right: I’m probably over analyzing this one, but it is a great goal, isn’t it? To be so saturated with love for my Redeemer that I praise him without even knowing it until I look back at the prior moment and hear myself having whispered a word of commendation of the One who is the object of my heart’s affection.

We do this with our human love-ties, you know. All of a sudden we realize we were just thinking about a loved-one, and in that fleeting parcel of time, we rejoiced… we were heart-warmed.

I’ve said before that my daily hymn-prayer is “Draw me nearer, blessed Lord.” I could easily add “More love, O Christ, to thee” to my daily music mantra!

By the way, sometimes, whispered praise is the best kind.


Fernando Ortega Sings This Hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)