Thursday, August 14, 2014

“Jesus, name of boldness, making cowards brave.”



Hymn: “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus” – D. B. Towner (1850-1919)
Tune: LLANTHONY

Towner was the director of the school of music for the Moody Bible Institute and wrote some familiar Christian hymns and gospel songs, among them: “At Calvary” and “Trust and Obey.” This one is not nearly as familiar, but it has a few punchy lines… including “Jesus be our joy note.” (see below)

According to today’s hymnline, the very character or nature of Jesus is daring and courageous; and when his followers take on that nature, they are less likely to cower and quietly allow their belief-system to be overrun – by those outside or inside the faith family.

Having served on local church staffs for over forty years, I often felt muzzled from boldly saying what I really thought about decisions being made around me or changes which seemed to undercut our main ministry/mission thrusts. I definitely had to steer clear of making any kind of statement that might align me politically against the majority… and not always a moral one!

I’ve had trouble shaking the rein-bit tugging at the edges of my mouth. After many years of being under the control of the people who paid my salary, it has been difficult for me to allow the boldness which is mine through the Spirit of the Savior to lift me out of my cowardice.

I’ve never been a fighter. I honestly can never remember being in a real “fight” as a child, and I avoid conflict as if it were the plague! I may never outgrow that reluctance to wrangle… even when it is called for. But if ever my faith is called into question or the very foundational tenets of my personal commitments are attacked, I hope this lone hymnline will come to mind, and that I will trade my cowardice for the boldness of Christ.

[No online example of this hymn]


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)