Wednesday, May 4, 2016

"That each departing day henceforth may see some work of love begun, some deed of kindness done."


Hymn: “Something for Thee” – Sylvanus D. Phelps (1816-1895)
Tune: SOMETHING FOR THEE

Like many of us American hymn-writers, “one-hit-wonder” might apply to Rhode Island lyricist Sylvanus Phelps. However, if you’re going to have one hymn text that sticks, it might as well be one like “Something for Thee” which has been included in hymnals by just about every Christian denomination… and books published by non-denominational groups.

Many hymns designed for corporate worship use the first person plural (we, us, our, etc.), but this one uses the first person singular (I, me, my, etc.) throughout… making a great devotional hymn to sing or read personally as a daily commitment. It’s not a very peppy hymn, but it sure calls forth my introspective side.

The title recurs at the end of each stanza as a reminder that my words, actions, ministries – everything about me should be offered to the Savior whose dying love has been given to me.

Today’s hymnline is wonderful because it gives me the opportunity to henceforth (from this day forward) close out every day by looking back and recounting “some work of love begun” or “some deed of kindness done” – because I have made those my goal for the day. I can intentionally set some love-work into motion or go out of my way to do a kind deed. It’s that ‘random acts of kindness’ thing… or ‘paying it forward.’

Those things that Oprah encourages her audience to do, Jesus modeled for us long ago. Isn’t it about time we listened to HIM? I think so.

So before I go to bed tonight, I’m going to replay my day and be sure I have done what I have re-committed to do – not so I can check it off my am-I-not-a-good-person list, but because I am a follower of the Great Encourager. As a result, someone’s life will get a much-needed lift, and Jesus will be pleased.


Hear an a cappella setting of this hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)