Wednesday, January 28, 2015

“By morning glow or evening shade God’s watchful eye ne’er sleepeth.”



Hymn: “Sing Praise to God Who Reigns Above” – Johann J. Schutz (1640-1690)
Common Tune: MIT FREUDEN ZART

The effect of this hymnline will vary for some of us. If you see the ever-watchful eye of God as being protective and providing security, you will find this to be a reassuring truth. On the other hand, if you picture God as keeping an eye on you and taking note of your every mis-step, you won’t be drawn to it! I hope you fall into the former.

My favorite chorus from ELIJAH is probably “He watching over Israel slumbers not nor sleeps,” (Psalm 21:4) because I find that concept reassuring. If I call upon him at any hour, I will not hear, “I’m away from my desk right now. Please leave a message, and I will get back to you at my first convenience.” – or get an email out-of-the-office response.

I’ve never thought of God’s around-the-clock awareness of my situation to be surveillance – some corner-mounted camera system relaying images to a bank of video screens, checking up on my behavior… making a list and checking it twice. That is contrary to my concept of the loving, caring Provider/Sustainer.

However, his never-napping nature is to me a blessed re-assurance that I am never out of his sight – and though he is keeping an eye on all his children, I am confident that he has excellent peripheral vision!

Psalm 139:3 – “You know when I rise and when I lie down. You are acquainted with everything about my life.”

May that scripture and today’s hymnline be an affirmation.

Arthur Nobile, Jr. Plays This Hymn (Turn your volume down!)

Disclaimer: I have to admit that every time I sing this hymnline, I am reminded of Linda Bloodworth-Thomason's wonderful TV show from the early 1990's: EVENING SHADE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)