Tuesday, July 22, 2014

“Show me the truth concealed within thy word.”


Hymn: “Break Thou the Bread of Life” – (this stanza) Alexander Groves (1842-1909)
Tune: BREAD OF LIFE

This hymn is unusual in that it has two text-writers. Mary Lathbury wrote the first two stanzas to support the Bible study times at Chautauqua, NY in 1877; Groves added the second two, extending the bread-of-life analogy from the written Word to the Living Word – Jesus, who called himself the Bread of Life in John 6:35. Throughout the text, this is a prayer for enlightenment.

The concealed truth – that which is not obvious on the surface of a scripture passage – is what most of us seek when we approach Bible study. Were it not for searching out the deeper implications of the various verses and passages, we’d have no reason to attend Bible study groups, Sunday School… or listen to weekly sermons from the pulpit. Otherwise, we would simply say, “I’ve read that verse. I can even quote it verbatim from the KJV. I’m ready to move on to something else.”

On the other hand, most of you who are reading this blog are probably like unto myself: we want to know the deeper meaning of scripture, understood in the context, applied to our own daily walk with Christ.

Remember in THE SOUND OF MUSIC after Maria has introduced the Von Trapp children to solfeg (do, re, mi, etc.), one of the children says, “But it doesn’t mean anything.” I have to admit that a cursory reading of many biblical phrases leaves me saying the exact thing. Then I turn to a commentary or an online source to get a better insight into the truth of the matter. When I was in the full-time church ministry, I’d walk down the hall and ask the pastor. Sometimes they knew! But they were always ready to discuss it and help me find resources.

The truth of holy writ is not hidden like a buried treasure. It’s more like Easter eggs that are placed around the lawn at different levels: some are obviously find-able, and others take some searching… or re-searching. I think God WANTS us to discover the truth; that's why he gave us minds to do the work of unearthing a deeper message.

Dig on, brothers and sisters!

This Hymn Played at the Organ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0cJxMSfKik


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)