Thursday, June 14, 2018

“O how could I this friend deny when he’s so true to me.”


Hymn: "Jesus Is All the World to Me" - Will L. Thompson (1847-1909)
Tune: ELIZABETH (also by Will L. Thompson)

My friendships are of great value to me. I have garnered a throng of friends all the way from elementary school, college and seminary days to all the congregations I served during my forty-plus years in the music ministry around the country. Like you, I have groups into which I assign people as acquaintances... then buddies... then friends... then dear friends. It's not actually a ranking system: it's just the way relationships develop.

In the hymn-line we're considering, THIS friend is Jesus; it is to him we hymn* these words!

The dependability of God in Christ Jesus is another one of those attributes I like best. The earthly friends I cherish most are those who have been true to me - consistent in their love and support of the real me... 'warts and all.'

With Christ, I feel that I've never been depreciated. Seriously: how could I deny one who has never denied me? I know, I know: I deny him way too often -- it's the REAL "Peter Principle!" Hymn-texts and creeds are designed for us to voice our honest intentions, whether or not we are as true to our commitments as God is. And here, I think we are actually saying, "How is it that I can so often deny the one who is so true to me? I don't want to do that anymore.  So help me, God."

I like Robert Ray's get-down anthem "He Never Failed Me Yet" and have used it over the years with choirs. But the word "yet" really doesn't belong in that phrase; I don't anticipate that Christ will ever fail me because he has become a true friend -- I can at all points depend on him to be my ally.

Jesus Christ: undeniably my truest friend.


* - "Hymn" is also a transitive verb, so don't think I made that up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)