Wednesday, June 13, 2018

“God, who touches earth with beauty, make me lovely, too.”


Hymn: “God, Who Touches Earth with Beauty” – Mary S. Edgar (1890 – 1973)
Common Tunes: GENEVA, BUTLER

This prayer hymn has some powerful phrases, and this opening line (repeated later) is simply meaningful, referring to our nature… not to our appearance.

My mother taught a Sunday School class of young women. Unlike some classes, she named hers “The Lovely Ladies Class.” The others had biblical connections or spiritual implications; but Mama called them her lovely ladies! They were involved in serious study of the Bible every Sunday morning, but the fellowship deepened throughout the years as they cared deeply about one another… and especially about their teacher.

When my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary, the Lovely Ladies hosted the special reception in their honor. I was living in Denver at the time, and those women covered all the details so that when I flew home, everything was ready. When my mother passed away, they were the ones who provided the after-burial luncheon for all our family members.

Over the years, I had kidded my mother about what she had named her class. But when they stepped in and filled the gaps needed to be sure she was highly honored in every way, I realized she had used the term ‘lovely’ because they truly had been touched by the beauty of Christ in their lives and were deep-down wonderful. As the hymn indicates, the Spirit had a re-creative effect on them, and their hearts had been renewed; they were glad and free, strong and sure… and they conducted a ministry of love for one another, especially for their devoted Sunday School teacher.

I’m not interested in being good-looking; that’s not the kind of loveliness I seek. I sincerely want the beauty of Christ to be realized by those to whom and with whom I minister.

This text sung by Houston Children’s Choir


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)