Tuesday, April 3, 2018

"Even when life overwhelms us, Easter people sing this song: Alleluia!"

"Overwhelmed" - Elena Covalciuc Vieriu

Hymn: "Easter People, Raise Your Voices" -  William M. James (1915-2014)
Typical Tune: REGENT SQUARE

Overwhelmed. Sucked under. Drowning. Not going to make it this time. Can't see the end of this one. Without hope.

We've all felt this way... used those descriptors... even said those phrases out loud -- to others -- even to God. I know I have... even recently. How about you? Shame on me, but it's true.

At our lowest point, from what David calls "out of the depths," we Easter people are not without hope.

When I was a kid growing up in East Tennessee, we sang a song from the BROADMAN HYMNAL that said, "When the storms of life are raging, stand by me." I meant it then; I mean it now. I believed He would then; I believe He will now.

As Easter people who flocked to an empty tomb a few days ago, we must believe the Risen One continues to do miraculous things in hopeless situations... like the one He seemed to be in! -- standing by us in the raging storms which overwhelm us, suck us under and convince us we are not going to make it this time.

And Easter people sing this alleluia song all year... not just a couple of weeks in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)