Tuesday, April 10, 2018

"Early let us turn to thee."



Hymn: "Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us" - Dorothy A. Thrupp (1779-1847)
Common Tune: BRADBURY

Too often we follower types seem to turn to Christ as our solution of last resort. After we have exhausted all our own resources, asked others for help, done a bit of research, etc., we ask him to intervene on our behalf. I don't know whether we think he doesn't want to be bothered or we think he has other greater, more important tasks to attend to? Why is it we seem to follow this pattern -- even those of us who SAY we rely on him?

Do you realize what a thrill you get when someone dear to you asks you for help... advice... guidance? The heart of Christ must warm similarly when his loved ones turn first to him and say, "Could you help me here?"

Sometimes when I sing this hymnline, I think it means "early in the day" or "early in my life." More recently -- maybe because it is "later in my life!" -- I have come to sing it as urging me to make turning to Christ my first move ... my first priority... not my last course of action -- not when all else has failed... but when all else will probably fail if I DON'T turn to him early on.

"Blessed Jesus! Blessed Jesus! Early let us turn to thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)