Wednesday, January 24, 2018

“Hidden in the hollow of his blessed hand.”


Hymn: “Like a River Glorious” – Frances R. Havergal (1836-1879)
Tune: WYE VALLEY

On the security scale, you can’t do much better than this! That gigantic, powerful hand of Christ has grasped you, pulled his fingers around you and hidden you from anything outside that might harm you, distract you, or pull you away. You may have heard the phrase “in the grip of grace”; that’s what I’m talkin’ about when I sing the second stanza of this common-to-most-churches hymn.

We love being held in a place of protection. In fact, when danger lurks, we crawl as far into the palm as we can go, hiding out from anything that might seek to damage or destroy. However, being shielded from distraction is a bit different; when something interesting comes into view through the openings in his fingers – perhaps contrary to the nature of the Father and behavior expected of his children – it is then that we climb up to peer out and survey the possibilities of escape. We lick our lips and rub our hands together, dreaming of what it might be like to go there. That’s what I’m talkin’ about, y’all. Idenitfy?

Fortunately for most of us, we pass on the opportunity to vacate the nail-scarred real estate.

In terms of spiritual warfare, the hand of Christ is involved in a tug-of-war every day with forces of evil. Fortunately from what he says to us [“My Father, who gave them me, is greater than all; and no one is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.” John 10:29], all the yanking possible can’t win the battle for my soul… my salvation… my relationship.

Swaddled tightly in the sacred grip, I can avoid harm, distraction and abduction. I like it here. Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about, y’all.

[I couldn’t find a rap version, but it would have fit today! I’ll work on that for my next recording project!]

This hymn sung by Crown College Choir (a little strident, but nice arrangement)



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)