Thursday, September 21, 2017

"Shall I fear to own his cause, or blush to speak his name?"


Hymn: “Am I a Soldier of the Cross?” – Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Typical Tune: ARLINGTON

Long before Baynard Fox wrote the hymnline “I’m not ashamed his name to bear” [from “I’ll Tell the World that I’m a Christian”], Isaac Watts was posing the same question. It is a haunting question for all of us who claim the cross… and a query we need not take too lightly.

Patriotic songs like “I’m Proud to Be an American” seem to be easy for some of us to sing… perhaps because being proud of one’s country is an acceptable behavior and a tolerated attitude. I am however concerned that displaying the red-white-and-blue star-spangled banner by the curb is easier than planting a cross in my front yard.

I am not suggesting that we should erect crosses and other symbols around the exterior of our homes, but I am suggesting that we not be ashamed of our faith… that we not blush to speak the name of Jesus outside the walls of our sanctuaries and Bible study rooms. T-shirts, bumper stickers, highway billboards – I’m not sure those are the best way to be unashamed. But I am sure that we should not cower from opportunities to say, “Yes, I believe in Christ,” or “Yes, as a matter of fact I am a Christian.” If necessary, I may have to give definition to what I mean by that so they’ll know what I mean by those church-y phrases.

We avoid the use of soldier-ing hymns nowadays; martial hymns with battle analogies are not as politically correct – and I get that. But if I fear to take ownership of the cause of Christ, or if my face turns red when confronted with my position in the Kingdom – then I am concerned. And I must admit, this sometimes happens for me.

I – and perhaps you – need to make some adjustments in our own sense of pride… the good kind of pride… and say that we are PROUD to be children of the King, followers of the Lamb, people of the cross. May our fearful, blushing days be behind us. May we be confident with heads-held-high when the name of Christ is mentioned, and we have opportunity to stand up, stand up for Jesus as soldiers of the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)