Friday, June 23, 2017

"Something lives in ev'ry hue Christ-less eyes have never seen."


Hymn: "I Am His, and He Is Mine" - George W. Robinson (1838-1877)
Tune: EVERLASTING LOVE


Recently on NPR, they were discussing the color of all things. Part of their discussion was that most people don't pay much consideration to color until someone or something draws their attention to it. In other words, because most of us see in vivid colors, we just take them for granted, not noticing how much the hues of our surroundings contribute to our enjoyment of all we see.

When the interviewee said that, I was driving out in the country; and suddenly, the greens got greener and the yellows got yellower. I notice how bright blue the sky looked. Even the farm houses began to pop out at me.

I teach art appreciation classes at the college where I add junk… I mean I’m an adjunct professor. I’m all the time telling my students to notice sounds, shapes, symmetry, and yes – color. I sometimes demonstrate that by displaying colorless paintings or photographs over against those that appear in living color! So I, of all people, should be more aware.

The line which precedes this hymn-line says heaven above is softer blue, and earth around is sweeter green. The statement which follows is about how birds with gladder songs o’erflow, and flow’rs with deeper beauties shine. I think Robinson is trying to point out that our closer-related association with Christ should make us more aware of the simplest, most beautiful things. We should have our ‘feelers out’ and be more sensitive to all good gifts… even the simplest, most basic which are missed by those whose Christ-less eyes have not ever noticed.

Our proximity to Christ opens us up to many blessings; on that, we probably all agree. But this hymn-line calls our attention to some of the lesser-religious ones – yet very sacred!

Today, notice the sounds, the shapes, smells and colors with more intention. Not because it’s an art class assignment, but because you are his and he is yours. I’m going to try to do that myself – O thou who pointest all this out to thy students – since I know as now I know I am his and he is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)