Friday, June 30, 2017

"He drew me closer to his side. I sought his will to know."


Hymn: “Wherever He Leads, I’ll Go” – Words and Music: B. B. McKinney (1886-1952)
Tune: FALLS CREEK
Remember how you were sitting on the couch, and a parent or grandparent sat down beside you, reached over and pulled you snuggly next to them in a seated bear-hug? When you were small, you giggled and hugged back. Perhaps you were told how much you were loved, kissed on the forehead… even given a noogie. As you sat there embraced by someone who truly cared about you, an intimate conversation sometime ensued as you asked, “What was it like when you were growing up? Did you have a dog? Did you really walk a mile-and-a-half to school in knee-deep snow?” Important stuff like that. It’s how we got to know our parents and grandparents.

That’s the picture that comes to mind when I sing this hymn-line: Jesus reaching over and pulling me toward himself, wrapping his arms around my frame, rubbing me on the head and whispering, “I love you, you know.” After I bask in that kind of compassionate expression, I begin to ask him questions – not about dogs and snow, but about what he has in mind for my life.

The image of Jesus drawing me over close to him – that’s the one I delight in when I sing this hymn.

Returning to that sofa analogy where I started out: at some point when you were pulled more closely, you may have stiffened and reluctantly returned the affection. It’s a shame how we do that. Then some of us became the parent/grandparent pulling a child over closer to us… and cherished those moments – until they began to outgrow their enjoyment thereof. (With fast-maturing grandsons, I can identify with that!)

Over the years, your sofa-time with Jesus may have become less intimate; you may have stiffened and become reluctant to accept his caresses. Remember Jesus said that unless we come to him like a child, we will miss out on the joys of the kingdom.

I know that this next statement of Jesus comes on the heels of some chastisement for the leaders of Jerusalem, but I’ve always loved how he said, “How often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings.” What a pleasant, wonderful thought. However, it is followed by “but you were not willing!” (Luke 13:34)

Don't be a reluctant child of God. Scoot on down the sofa within reach of those strong arms of Jesus. Let him whisper sweet and low. Let him ‘love on you’ a little today… or a lot! Then ask him what his will is for you – what you should do next for him and the kingdom. It’ll warm the cockles* of your heart… and his!

and Sing Along!
 
* - Something that warms the cockles of one’s heart induces a glow of pleasure, sympathy, affection, or some such similar emotion. What gets warmed is the innermost part of one’s being. (from World Wide Words)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)