Thursday, September 22, 2016

"When we reach the end of our hoarded resources, our Father's full giving is only begun."





Hymn: “He Giveth More Grace” – Annie Johnson Flint (1866-1932)
Tune: HE GIVETH MORE GRACE

Written by a school teacher whose career was cut short by crippling arthritis, this stands as her only still-sung hymn. In fact, it was popularly sung as a solo in the 1940’s and 50’s and has only recently been included in books for congregational use.


In a very poetic way, Flint was able to capture FDR’s “when you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on” adage in a way which beautifully depicts the abundant generosity of God.
When we have tried in our own strength to accomplish great tasks or to overcome great difficulties, we can “tie a knot” in our rope and wait for God to intervene.

To put this hymnline in context, here is the full stanza:
    When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
    When our strength has failed when the day is half-done,
    When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
    Our Father’s full giving is only begun.


We all know that we should have sought out his assistance and guidance in the first place, but our human nature has caused us to turn to some other colloquial adages like “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” and “I did it my way!” We join the chugging uphill steam engine repeating the mantra “I think I can! I think I can!” We have yet again been Oprah-ized into self success.

Over my 66 years, I have accumulated a good number of creative resources; I’ve had to reason my way through many dilemma in my ministry and my personal life. Amazingly, sometimes that works for me. Other times, I come up way short on my “hoarded resources” and have to send out my call for help. I’m not alone in this; I have many cohorts in this method of doing life!

I love the way Flint calls God’s openhandedness “full giving”… and that we only see the tip of that generosity: it is only beginning to kick in on our behalf.

I would dare say that everyone reading this hymnline today is approaching the end of their rope in some area of their life-journey – and as far as you can tell, the end of that rope is nearing more rapidly than we would like to admit. Go ahead and tie that proverbial knot and wait; stop trying to achieve success on your own. Allow God’s full-giving nature to activate itself in your situation. See if the burden isn’t lifted… or at least lessened.


Larry Ford from one of the Gaither Homecomings

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)