Monday, September 26, 2016

"Let not your foolish pride rebel."



Hymn: “’Take Up Your Cross,’ the Savior Said” – Charles W. Everest (1814—1877)
Various Tunes

One of the scripture passages my mother drilled into me is from Romans 12:13: “A man should not think more highly of himself than he ought.” I have used this verse on lots of boasting people throughout the years; it was one of my go-to verses when Dustin was growing up, and I now find myself inserting it into conversations with my grandsons. It sounds more like Ben Franklin, but it really is from the apostle Paul!

More modern translations update it and are less sexist: “Do not think of yourself more highly than you should,”

This six-word sentence from a little-used hymn stands as a reminder to any who may take more credit for their advances, their talents, their achievements than they ought. Our pride – foolish though it may be – has a tendency to rebel against our redeemed, Christ-like nature. That’s when we have to “put a lid on it” – or in the words of that great theologian Barney Fife: “Nip it.”

Frankly, I tire quickly in the presence of anyone who goes on and on about how God has done this and that in their life. I guess it is not possible to over-glorify God, but that kind of language often tends to make that person appear more spiritual than the rest of us. I am equally put off by those who never give their Creator credit for their creativity and accomplishments – those who wallow in their position among the “Me Generation.”

As an FOC (follower of Christ), I need to strike a happy balance here. I need not take too much credit for my successes, while at the same time not make myself appear to be holier-than-the-rest-of-you. It is a tight rope to walk, but it is do-able if we consciously pay attention to how we make our way.

My old self is rebellious… at times it seems out of control. This is when we rein in who we used to be and behave like we strive to be, in order to represent the One we call Lord. Another phrase I picked up at home was “give credit where credit is due.” Not scripture, but applicable to this hymnline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)