Friday, May 13, 2016

"Take away our bent to sinning."


Hymn: “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling” – Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Typical Tunes: BEECHER, HYFRYDOL

Why are we bent toward sin? Why are we attracted to that which is not good for us? Why do we find ourselves leaning in the direction of evil? It is our human nature… our carnality. We all share this propensity… and we all wish we didn’t!

That’s why when this hymn comes along and this line passes my eyes, my mind, my mouth… my heart wants to break. I’m sometimes afraid my face may belie my melodious participation, screaming “Guilty! I’m guilty! I have a tendency to be bent toward sinning!”

At least these six words (from Wesley again!) give us opportunity not only to admit who we are, but also to ask God to re-set us – to straighten us up and remove our leanings. It’s almost like we admit that we have poor posture when it comes to righteous things. “Back straight. Shoulders down. Chest up. Eyes straight ahead, soldier.”

It may well be an unanswerable request on our part. We can, however, be more aware of when we might be off-center – leaning one way or the other.

I have Meniere’s Disease - vertigo on steroids (Google it!) – so I know what it’s like to lose my balance and lean away from vertical just walking across the room. I know what it’s like to find the hardwood floor coming up to meet my face. Now that I know I have this condition and have admitted it is a REAL problem, I’ve taken medical steps to lessen its likelihood of regular recurrence.

Admitting we have this sinful condition and seeking out help from the Great Physician, the only One who can give us any relief: these are steps in the up-right direction.

“Take away our bent to sinning. Alpha and Omega be.”  With the Alpha under one arm and the Omega under the other, I am more likely to stay the course… from first to last.


Mormon Tabernacle Choir (HYFRYDOL tune)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)