Thursday, March 10, 2016

"Near the cross I'll watch and wait, hoping, trusting ever."


Hymn: “Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross” – Fanny Crosby (1820-1915) 
Tune: NEAR THE CROSS

Proximity is a wonderful thing in any relationship. We never want to be far from the people we love most. That’s why Hallmark has a whole series of cards from “across the miles”!

Maintaining a close proximity to the cross is of great importance to those of us who are Christ-followers. Many people accessorize with a cross, wearing it daily as a reminder to themselves that they are inextricably affiliated with the One whose life and death are represented by two intersecting straight lines. For many years in my early ministry, I dangled a wooden cross from my neck so that every time it struck my chest, I was reminded whose I was… and my minute-by-minute commitment to him.

You may not ‘wear’ a cross daily, but you need to be prompted to stray not far from the influence of the cross on your daily decision-making.

Beneath the cross of Jesus is a good place to keep vigilance, with a watchful eye to avoid failure and mis-steps. There we can wait… be still… learn patience. It is also a great vantage point from which to view hope as a constant under-girder of our faith experience. And is there a better place to express our trust in Him who redeems us, comforts us, restores us – yea, even saves us?

In the context of Fanny Crosby’s text, this hymnline is about watching for, waiting on, hoping toward, and trusting in the ultimate return of Christ. The following line says, “till I reach the golden strand just beyond the river.”

I agree with all that; but it is also the place I watch for God, wait for him to act, hope that his will is done in my life, and trust that he will see me through TODAY… whether or not his return is imminent!

Need a change of place? Come over here and stand with me near the cross. Proximity is a wonderful thing.

Hear Hastings College Choir sing Robert Sterling’s arrangement of this hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)