Tuesday, October 20, 2015

To those who have sought thee, thou never said, "No!"


Hymn: “Whiter than Snow” – James Nicholson (1828-1876)
Tune: FISCHER

Most of us have an inbred fear of rejection. I have a drawer full of rejection letters for things I’ve sent to publishers over the years – many of which would have undoubtedly been best-sellers.

We have failed to take risks and accept challenges for fear of receiving a negative reaction… a rejection… a “no!”

Admittedly, I am rarely in a service where this old gospel song is sung; but when I am, THIS is the line that grabs me and brings that wry smile to my lips as I realize how very true this hymnline is. The tenor aria “If with all your hearts you truly seek me, you shall ever surely find me” from ELIJAH rushes into my mind, and a blessed assurance overtakes me.

Today, remember that we serve the God of the Yes – the positive presence – the One who does not bar the door, but stands with gates wide open for all who want to enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)