Wednesday, October 21, 2015

"Strength for today, bright hope for tomorrow."


Hymn: “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” – Thomas O. Chisholm (1866-1960)
Tune: FAITHFULNESS

This is MY favorite hymn, and many of my long-time friends thought I would have posted this one as my first hymnline two years ago when I started this process. Finally, I’m going to use it; this line is so special to me, it won’t be that easy an endeavor.

From my perspective as one who started going to church nine months before I was born, this hymnline based from Lamentations 3:22-23 sums up what Christ offers those who follow him. There are obviously many other blessings lined up for the taking, but if I have strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, I can pretty much make it through any day – the ones filled with joy, the ones filled with struggles and sadness, and the ones which just dribble by on an even keel.

Occasionally I hear someone jokingly say, “Lord, give me strength,” when they’re dealing with problem people… even their children. While it has become a one-off kind of expression, it IS my daily honest desire – my constant prayer. The undergirding of the supportive hand of God is what I seek and what I enjoy. It truly is the gracious gift of strength which has “brought me safe thus far.”

Ensconced in my belief system is hope – not just for an eternal resting place or home beyond my dying day. This is a bright hope for the next day… and the next. Sometimes I want to join Annie and sing “The sun’ll come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there’ll be sun,” because I DO believe that a brightness awaits beyond the darkness – after I have laid me down to sleep.

I could pontificate on these two phrases for a long time; however, I will just say that now that I am a child of the King, I would be fine if these two blessings were all I had to go on every day. Fortunately, I am not limited in the number of times and methods these are meted out because his faithfulness is great and his mercies are new every morning. Just call me grateful.

My Friend Babbie Mason Sings This Song

P.S. – On JEOPARDY! yesterday, they included a hymns category. When it first came up, I said to Carlita, “I better know all these!” Sure enough I did. Art, classical music and Bible-based columns are usually my strength; she is strongest in anything pertaining to literature (including the Word of God). I hope the hymns category will go into their regular rotation for the benefit of us hymn-lovers who are also JEOPARDY! devotees!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)