Monday, September 14, 2015

"Thou my best thought by day or by night."


Hymn: “Be Thou My Vision” – Ancient Irish
Tune: SLANE

I have a dish-towel hanging by my bed – yes, I know those are meant to be in the kitchen, but it has embroidered on it a wonderful Psalm verse: “I will sleep in peace, for you, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” (4:8) Because of its location, it is the last thing I see before I go to sleep and the first thing I see every morning.

"The Thinker" - Rodin
Thinking on God is a very positive exercise. In fact, Philippians 4:8 says, “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.” Those ‘whatsoevers’ that we learned as a childhood memory verse are worth revisiting today.

Thinking on such optimistic attributes of Christ… and of the Christian life… can keep us from thinking on the negative, downer kinds of words that so often invade our thinking.

Simply centering our thought processes on the person of Christ may be difficult because we try to picture One we have never seen. But centering our attention on his characteristics can make that a less complicated way to implement his life into ours on a daily basis – by day and by night.

The list goes way beyond the eight mentioned in Philippians 4:8, so we are not limited to those. In fact, the list goes on almost infinitely.

Today, let the best things about Christ be the center of your thinking… all day long and into the night until you sleep in peace, kept safe by the One on whom you have thought.

Hear This Sung by 4 Him

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)