Tuesday, August 11, 2015

"Silently now I wait for thee, ready."

Hymn: “Open My Eyes That I May See” – Words & Music Clara H. Scott
Tune: SCOTT

I may have learned this hymn at Vacation Bible School in the late 50’s. In straight lines reaching all the way to the main street through Pigeon Forge – a thoroughfare much less-traveled than it is today - we followed the flags and the Bible into the cavernous sanctuary to make our way through two weeks of intense Bible study and craft-making. (Editorially speaking: most churches here had a four-day VBS this past summer.) That may have been the year I got the pole of the American flag caught in my open fly at commencement ceremonies, but that’s a story for later, I’m sure.

I have very fond memories of my summer weeks spent at VBS. That’s where I learned the order of the books of the Bible and where I memorized some of my life verses. Many summers my Mama taught at another church out in the country, so I did four weeks… and ended up with a double set of crafts! The order of the Bible books remained the same, however.

This hymn-line from the refrain of “Open My Eyes That I May See” has three out-standing words – silently, ready and waiting -- all of which speak to us more as adults than they did as young learners; their impact on our mind development and spiritual formation is probably more profound than any of us imagine or would dare admit.

Ready and waiting in silence: that’s how we say we are positioned to receive direction from the One who trends our path. We find ourselves at the corner of Ready and Waiting… at least that’s what we ‘say’! I must admit that many times I am waiting to hear from God, but I am not always ready to accept the instructions with which I am charged. My guess is that if you are honest, you are that way, too.

When I was leading music at Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth during my seminary days, I remember how mercilessly we ribbed a girl in the youth choir because she literally lived at the corner of Willing and Waiting! Fortunately she took it well, waited until the right guy came along (from within the youth group) and has lived happily ever after.

However, standing at various crossroads in our lives, decision-making is not easy until we are ready and waiting… or willing and waiting! That is where I sincerely want to stand in my relationship to God’s call, because when those two are aligned, obedience will follow naturally.

I’m pushing my contemplative button again, but I’m convinced that the only time we clearly hear is when we are quiet – silent – still. Our in-constant-motion lives and our air-filled-with-noise waking hours impede God’s ability to speak a loud and clear message… to give distinct direction to our wandering feet -- ready and willing though they may be.

            Silently now I wait for thee. Ready, my God, thy will to see.
            Open my eyes. Illumine me, Spirit Divine.

Go to the corner of Ready and Waiting. Wait silently. Do not pass go or try to collect $200! Stay there as long as needed; Repeat as often as necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)