Monday, August 3, 2015

"Mine to tell me whence I came, mine to tell me what I am."


Hymn: “Holy Bible, Book Divine” – John Burton, Sr. (1773-1822)
Typical Tune: ALETTA

Keeping balance in my life is always a challenge. How about you? Staying grounded, keeping a proper perspective, finding my ‘true north’ – these are the things I contend with on a daily basis.

Most of the hymn “Holy Bible, Book Divine” is about how the Word of God is there for me to help me with these kinds of decisions, and each of these ideas is introduced by the two-word phrase “mine to.” In other words, the Bible is:

  • ·         Mine to tell me whence I came
  • ·         Mine to tell me what I am
  • ·         Mine to chide me when I rove
  • ·         Mine to show a Savior’s love
  • ·         Mine to guide and guard
  • ·         Mine to punish or reward
  • ·         Mine to comfort in distress
  • ·         Mine to show how to triumph over death
  • ·         Mine to tell of joys to come.
Those first two are the grounding ones for me. My reading of, studying of, and meditating upon Scripture phrases (Bible-lines, if you please!) can often bring me back to my roots – all my beginnings.

This remembering where I came from and whose I am can simply keep me steady-headed throughout the days which are smooth-sailing… not a worry or a care. At times when I’m headed toward pride or self-inflation, recalling my origins and my ownership can give me a reality check and a good dose of humility. On those occasions when I feel un-necessary or worthless, those same recollections can restore my belief in myself and my gifts.

All of you know by now that I have a pretty modest genesis in east Tennessee. I tell my fine arts classes all the time that for someone who had never heard the “Hallelujah Chorus” sung live until I went away to college, it’s amazing how much I love great music; and for a kid who had never visited a real museum until I was an adult, I sure do enjoy seeing great art when I get the opportunity. Any time I feel the snobbery coming on, I have to remember whence I came, and be grateful for the appreciation of all things bright and beautiful that was instilled in me from my inaugural years.

When I was a kid, I belonged to Hedy and Raymond Huff; it wasn’t exactly slavery, but I probably thought it was at the time! The fact that I knew who was taking care of me gave me a positive hope that all would eventually be well, even when I may have thought there was no way my earliest ordeals could turn out for the good. Now, as a semi-retiree, I am still comforted by my Christ-owned situation… that I am his, and he is mine… that now I belong to Jesus.

Having more trouble than usual staying grounded? Remember where you came from and whose you are. If you need a little help with that, turn to the Holy Bible, Book Divine.

This hymn at the piano

[Originally Posted 10/04/2013]

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)