Friday, August 14, 2015

"Early let us seek thy favor. Early let us do thy will."


Hymn: “Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us” – Dorothy A. Thrupp (1779-1847)
Tune: BRADBURY

Are you a morning person? I am. I tend to get a lot accomplished in the earliest part of the day. Generally speaking, I don’t sleep very well; so I am not the kind who leaps out of bed to cheerfully greet the morning! But once I’m up and have a couple of cups of freshly-ground coffee in my system, I’m probably at my best. I used to wish that choir rehearsals were first thing on Wednesday mornings instead of the last thing on Wednesday evenings!

This hymnline from a lady who was born in England at the end of the American Revolution opens the final stanza of a hymn which is loved by most all Christian congregations. It encourages us to go ahead and get on with our seeking of Christ’s favor and the doing of his will. Pleasing the blessed Lord is something we should not wait around to do.

We can look at this as a call to seek out God early on in our pilgrimage; or we might see it as a way to begin each day. First thing off the pillow, I may need to say, “I’m going to seek your favor today. I’m going to try to do your will.” We might even need to do this at the first of every hour… even the first of every minute… because we sometimes forget!

Either way, let this hymnline remind us to make our continuing relationship with Jesus a first priority in our lives – day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute.

Most of you probably read these early in the day; you use them as a morning devotional thought. If that’s the case, it’s not too late to start of your day seeking the favor or the One who loved us and who loves us still.

Piano Setting of this hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)