Thursday, March 12, 2015

"Simply trusting ev'ry day... even when my faith is small."




(First posted August 13, 2013)

Hymn: “Trusting Jesus” – Edgar Page Stites (1836-1921)
Tune: TRUSTING JESUS

This hymn written by a Methodist layman – riverboat pilot - from New Jersey, is much richer in its depth of language than its rollicking melody indicates. Today's hymn-line from the first stanza speaks loudly to this poor heart of mine.

I consider myself a person of great faith – that is, my faith in the Almighty One is solid, I turn to it regularly, I find my strength there, etc.  In other words, this sense of trust is with me at all times. [I hope that doesn’t sound prideful or self-aggrandizing. To the best of my understanding, it is just true.]

Some days, that conviction is enormously huge… how’s that for overstatement?! Really. There are days when that blessed assurance is overwhelming; it gives me the confidence to step out and take risks, even in my spiritual walk. I desire more of those kinds of days.

Other days, not so much. Those are my small-faith days… those days when Jesus’ words “O ye of little faith” seem to haunt me. We all have those, and we shouldn’t be afraid/ashamed to admit it. We are no less Christian at those times – we are not in danger of falling overboard from the Good Ole Gospel Ship. Our humanity is dragging us down; with the seed that fell among the thorns, we are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of this life. (Luke 8)

I remember when preparing Jane Marshall’s setting of Christina Rosetti’s text “None Other Lamb,” I was struck by the line “My faith burns low. My hope burns low.” The sentiment was so well-put that to myself I suddenly said, I know that feeling. Now and again, I still do. The flame flickers. I fear there is not enough wax and wick to go on.

Then, turning to my simple faith, I make it through every day. Another hymn-line comes to mind from “Dear Lord and Father of Mankind”:
            In simple faith like those who heard beside the Syrian sea
            The gracious calling of the Lord --
            Let us, like them, without a word, rise up and follow thee.


From the lower levels of our faith, we rise up without a word to follow the gracious calling of the Lord. Our faith once again burns brightly; we glow in our devotion to the One who is the Eternal Flame.

How about you? Having a small-faith day? Your faith burning low?  You may need to sing the refrain of today’s hymn:
            Trusting as the moments fly, trusting as the days go by;
            Trusting him whate’er befall. Trusting Jesus, that is all.
            THAT IS ALL.


With Porky Pig, I stutter, “Th-th-th-that’s all, folks.”


Listen to This Hymn



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)