Thursday, January 15, 2015

“The battle is not done.”




Hymn: “This Is My Father’s World” – Maltbie D. Babcock (1858-1902)
Tune: TERRA PATRIS

This is my Father’s world,
The battle is not done.
Jesus who died
Shall be satisfied,
And earth and heav’n be one.


You know how you are singing a hymn in your head… away from a hymnal… and because the
English language has so many homonyms; you wonder what the hymnwriter had in mind? This happened to me once with this hymn while listening to Cynthia Clawson sing it. Did she say “earth and heav’n be one” or “earth and heav’n be won”?

In the context of this battle metaphor, it made sense to me that Jesus would be triumphant (or satisfied) when earth and heaven were won over to his Kingdom-reign. I reached down the pew, grabbed a hymnal, and while she went on with “Then I Saw You,” I looked it up. I have to admit I was a little disappointed that it was about unity and not victory!

We are such a culture of winners – every effort seems to require a winner… and therefore a loser! I guess I fell prey to that mindset.

The truth is: being one is much more important than declaring a victory.

When Carlita and I battle (rare, but it happens), neither is declared the victor. Rather, we end up again as one… and I’m pretty sure Jesus is satisfied.

Truly, the battle between good and evil in our Father’s world rages on. However, when (as we pray aloud together on Sunday mornings) the Kingdom truly comes and God’s will is done on earth as it is in heaven, “Jesus who died shall be satisfied.”


Cynthia Clawson

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)