Tuesday, January 27, 2015

“Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it.”


Hymn: “Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing” – Robert Robinson (1735-1790)
Typical Tunes: NETTLETON, WARRENTON

I have to admit that every time I sing this hymn, as the words “prone to wander” cross my lips, I honestly confess, “That’s me!” In spite of a life-long faith experience – pre-natal actually – I have a tendency to wander off… to go astray.

I’m glad hymn-writers toss in these little aphorisms that remind us to be up-front with God and with ourselves. I don’t necessarily need to turn to those sitting around me and admit my proclivity to drift; it is, however, in my best interest to have a “come to Jesus” (literally) about my condition.

One of the most dangerous things that can happen in one’s Christian life is when one begins to think they have arrived – that they are above the possibility of falling back into their human inclinations, leaning away from the call of God on their life.

Hopefully, none of us finds ourselves de-railed – completely off track in our relationship with the Living Christ. We may, on the other hand, be closer the edge than we want to acknowledge.

Not wandering off is an important part of following. Our predisposition may be to go off course, but our commitment is to trace the steps… the example… of the Leader.

Let this hymnline continue to remind us to fall in line behind the One who would never lead us where we should not go.

Stonebriar Community Church - Frisco, TX



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)