Friday, January 16, 2015

“Our inmost wants are known to him who chose us for his own.”

Hymn: “If You Will Only Let God Guide You” – Words & Music by Georg Neumark (1621-1681)
Tune: NEUMARK

This is one of those hymnlines that will grab your attention and hold it. Whether singing or reading this great text, our hearts are warmed within us as we come across this phrase: “Our inmost wants are known to him.” Suddenly, as if we were in a newspaper comic strip, a light-bulb goes off above our heads, and we say to ourselves, “Yes!” or “Amen!”

I am sorry to say that this hymn is not sung nearly often enough anymore. Its rich text is replete with great truths about who God is and how he gives leadership at every turn – IF we will let him.

This truth is expanded upon in a contemporary worship song by Tommy Walker:
    He knows my name.
    He knows my every thought.
    He sees each tear that falls
    And hears me when I call.

When this one goes past me in worship, I have a similar stop-and-think-about-this reaction – I feel that reassuring warming of my spiritual self… my spiritual heart.

It is good to know that God knows what I think and what I want, even before the realization is formed in my mind and eventually voiced in my prayers. It’s as if when I express my thoughts and desires, God nods and says, “I know.”

A Youth Choir Sings This Hymn


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)