Monday, January 12, 2015

“Help me not to falter, never let me fail.”

Hymn: “Set My Soul Afire” – Words & Music by Gene Bartlett (1918-1988)
Tune: SCALES

First, let me say that Gene Bartlett is one of my ministry heroes for many reasons, but primarily because he, like I, wanted to preserve the rich traditions of southern brush-arbor style revivalist singing. His model in this area prompted my establishing a non-profit for the preservation and enjoyment of that musical, historical, spiritual form.

This straight-forward prayer hymnline is one with which all true followers of Christ can immediately identify. None of us want to falter… nor fail.

Hesitating, waffling, being indecisive: these are not signs of strength – they are not positive characteristics of a good leader. If we are not careful, the start-stop, wait-worry attitudes can creep into our spiritual determination. We never set out to have a decrescendo in our resolve, but it happens. This hymnline is a prayer that we might do that less often… or not at all.

The reason I am attracted to this particular hymnline is the request, “never let me fail.” We are reluctant to verbalize a fear of failure in spiritual things, but here, Bartlett puts it out there and asks not to be a failure. I’m glad he admitted what may have caused him to falter… as is true with many of us who are serious about presenting quality offerings of praise and service. With him, I say, “Please, dear Lord, don’t let me be a failure.”

A fruitful endeavor which includes neither hesitation nor failure: that’s a worthy goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)