Monday, November 17, 2014

“Look unto me. Your morn shall rise, and all your days be bright.”

Hymn: “I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say” – Horatius Bonar (1808-1889)
Various Tunes: KINGSFOLD, VOX DILECTI, SPOHR… and others!

To refresh your memory, each stanza of this hymn begins with the declaration, “I heard the voice of Jesus say,” followed by a theme for each stanza. Here are the things he said to Horatius Bonar – and to the rest of us:
•    Come unto me and rest.
•    Behold, I freely give the living water.
•    I am this dark world’s light.

Today’s hymnline follows that final-stanza’s beginning phrase and is related to light overcoming darkness.

When I was a college student, some of my Pigeon Forge cronies and I would go camping atop a short mountain that overlooked the valley in which we grew up. I have lots of good memories from those outings, but the thing I recall most vividly is getting up early the following morning, starting a campfire, and watching the day begin.

Those hills are called the “Smokies” for a reason: they are often engulfed in low, hovering clouds. On those early morning’s perched atop uncle Chock’s land, we looked due east and waited for the sun to make its appearance above the mountain opposite us. At last, it would arise, and as it did, the clouds would begin to subside… literally crawl down the gorges. It was as if the rising sun melted the mist and sent it on its way.

[I should probably have used this story for “Melt the clouds of sin and sadness; drive the dark of doubt away!”]

After we had enjoyed our early-morning spectacle of God, we packed up and headed back down toward home to shower and get ready to work another day at Goldrush Jct… the amusement park that is now Dollywood! The sun was up, and so were we… ready to attack another day as only young adults can do.

Every morning, look toward Christ. When the light of Christ arises and we allow that brightness to invade the nooks and crannies of our darkened spaces, all the daylight hours will be brighter.

A few other hymn titles come to mind: “Look and Live.” “Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus.” “Look, Ye Saints! The Sight Is Glorious.” “Be Thou My Vision.”

That final stanza ends with this conviction: “And in that Light of life I’ll walk till travelling days are done.” And all the people said…

A Setting of the KINGSFOLD Tune

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)