Friday, November 14, 2014

“I come, I wait, I hear, I pray.”


Hymn: “My Lord, My Love Was Crucified” – John Mason (1645-1694)
Typical Tune: BEATITUDO

This is from the final stanza of a hymn a hymn you probably do not know very well… if at all. I use it here because it is a succinct outline for worship at its core. Here is the full stanza:

          I come, I wait, I hear, I pray;
          Thy footsteps, Lord, I trace.
          I sing to think this is the way
          Unto my Savior’s face.


Come into the presence of God with anticipation. Wait quietly and patiently as long as it takes. Give rapt attention to everything you hear, spoken or sung by humans – or by the Spirit. Speak your joys, your sorrows, your wants and needs. Trace (recount) the events in the earthly journey of Jesus and his activity in your own trek. Let song arise when you realize you have encountered once again your Savior face to face.

How simple. How profound. How overlooked.

In most public worship nowadays, there is so much happening around us, we have difficulty following these basic steps toward the throne. Little silence, few readings from the Word, little (if any) time for introspection. Often we find the Living Christ in spite of ourselves!

But when it is just us alone with God in private consultation, we can follow the brief rubric of John Mason’s ancient hymn text:
•    Come
•    Wait
•    Hear
•    Pray
•    Trace (Recall)
•    and maybe Sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)