Monday, September 15, 2014

“Thee will I cherish. Thee will I honor.”

“Thee will I cherish. Thee will I honor.”
Hymn: “Fairest Lord Jesus” – Anonymous
Tune: CRUSADERS’ HYMN (ST. ELIZABETH)

This is a hymn we all know, no matter what our denominational bent. It is one of the most beautifully crafted prayer hymns in any song book. Translated from German, we have no idea who penned the main stanzas.

This hymnline sounds almost like it’s part of someone’s wedding vows. The officiate says, “Do you __(insert name)__ take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife. To cherish and honor her from this day forward…” The groom whose name has been inserted responds, “I do.”

An aside: I actually heard a minister say “insert name” during a wedding years ago. I guess he grabbed his wedding book as he rushed into the sanctuary; I hope he refunded his fee! That’s one reason I always type out a new service every time I do one – partly to make it fresh and applicable to the couple, and partly in order not to call the groom “Insert Name!”

Meanwhile, back on track, as we sing this hymnline, we are renewing our vows to the Lord Christ – those commitments we made to him perhaps years ago are refreshed when we sing the first stanza of “Fairest Lord Jesus” and mean what we sing.

Repeat after me: “Jesus, I will always love you. I will never bring dishonor to you or your cause. So help me God.” I now pronounce you Savior and Disciple. You may now embrace the Bridegroom.

This hymn sung by a group of young men from Birmingham, Alabama

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)