Thursday, September 4, 2014

“Bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more.”


Hymn: “Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah” – William Williams (1717-1791)
Tune: CWM RHONDDA

"I am the bread of life that has come down from heaven. The one who comes to me will never go hungry, and those who believe in me will never be thirsty.” This “I Am” quote of Jesus from John 6:35 gives us the starting place for today’s hymnline.

Is it possible for Christ to feed us to the point of wanting no more of his nourishment? Can we gorge ourselves on the truth of who Christ until we say, “That’s all I can take?” Somehow, I don’t think so. Admittedly, I have never over-indulged at Christ’s table; I have snacked, selectively dined, taken the ‘pick and choose’ approach; I have rarely feasted on the Bread of heaven or over-imbibed from the fruit of the Vine.

I’ve over-done church before. I have gotten to the point that I’ve had all the committee meetings and the rehearsals I could bear. I’ve given myself in mission and outreach until I thought I had no more to give. I’ve been to the point I want nothing else to do with church folk.

But I have yet to be binge on the person of Jesus… so full of who he is and what he wants to teach me that I cry “uncle”!

Come to the table. Feast on Jesus until you have to loosen your belt! Devour every facet of his nature, and replicate that in your life. Then you can sing with great sincerity, “Bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more.”

Isn’t it about time we get fed up with Jesus?

Listen to this hymn



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)