Wednesday, August 6, 2014

“Heart of my own heart… still be my vision.”

Hymn: “Be Thou My Vision” – Ancient Irish
Tune: SLANE

The heart of Christ at the center of my own heart. My heart at the center of his.

What a perfect spiritual positioning. I can sing “I Love Thee” or “I Love You, Lord” with the same assurance that I sing “Jesus Loves Me” or “O How He Loves You and Me” – because both are true. “O how I love Jesus because he first loved me.” Our singing is often en-flowered by our expressions of love for Christ and our assurances that we are loved by Christ.

This line from one of those hymns that crosses all denominational demarcations says it so very succinctly and so vividly. “Christ, you are the very heart of my own heart. Whatever comes my way, still be the One I look to for hope and guidance.”

You’re familiar with the hackneyed statement, “Well, his/her heart is in the right place.” We use it when somebody has tried really hard to accomplish something or express something deeply meaningful, only to have come up short… and possibly looked foolish in the meantime.

As followers of the Lamb, the only time our heart is in the right place is when it is centered on the heart of Christ – because we can rest assured that his heart is focused on us.


One of those solo four-part recordings of this hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)