Wednesday, July 9, 2014

“My thirst was quenched, my soul revived, and now I live in him.”

Hymn: “I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say” – Horatius Bonar (1808-1889)
Common Tunes: KINGSFOLD, VOX DILECTI

We are heading into the middle of July, and summer is heavy upon us. Here in Texas, we’re approaching our first 100◦ day; but when you get above 98, who can tell the difference?

Thirst seems to accompany heat… like those old movies of desert-lost Indiana Jones types who crawled sand-mouthed toward an oasis which often turned out to be a disappointing mirage -- a figment of one’s desires and perhaps imagination.

Today’s hymnline comes at the end of the second stanza of this Scottish hymn – the stanza that parallels the story of Christ with the woman of Samaria from John 4… well, you know the story!

“I heard the voice of Jesus say, “Behold, I freely give the living water, 
          thirsty one, stoop down and drink, and live.”
I came to Jesus, and I drank of that life-giving stream. My thirst was quenched.             

         My soul (was) revived. And now I live in him.”

No mirage here! Who you see is what you get. Jesus sits by the well and makes promises he can keep: if we humble ourselves (stoop down) and drink, life will take a turn for the better.

Got a dry mouth? Feel like you’re chewing on sand? Looking for refreshment for your soul? Stoop down like Gideon’s soldiers, and with your eyes on Jesus, lap up the living water. Be revived. Let the experience modify your life. Face your next battle in the might of the Living-water Bearer. Then the next time you sing this hymn, it will be YOUR testimony, not just words on a page… or a wall!

Sung by the Choir of Manchester Cathedral (KINGSFOLD)

Great Celtic Setting… not so great graphics. (KINGSFOLD)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)