Friday, July 18, 2014

“How marvelous the grace that caught my falling soul.”

Hymn: “He Looked Beyond My Fault” – Dottie Rambo (1934-2008)
Tune: LONDONDERRY AIR

Following up on my post from yesterday about pianos falling from third-floor walk-ups, I thought I’d keep that fast-descending theme going today!

Though printed in some hymnals, this Dottie Rambo text is more a song than a hymn as it has only one stanza and a refrain. Set to the “O Danny Boy” tune, however, it elicits a near-levitating response within us as we hear it or sing it.

The refrain begins, “I shall forever lift mine eyes to Calvary,” which is where we left off with yesterday’s musings. But the phrase “grace that caught my falling soul” grabs my attention every time because it expresses a near-inexpressible concept: that though falling rapidly into the abyss of sinful behavior patterns, this Christ of Calvary swooped in – somewhat like Superman – and gathered me up in his arms… gathered me to himself and held me there all this time. It was not an act of justice, it was an act of grace.

And that takes us back to the opening line of this song: “Amazing grace shall always be my song of praise.” – that marvelous soul-catching grace.

Dottie Rambo Sings Her Song

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)