Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"In hope that sends a shining ray far down the future's broad'ning way."

"In hope that sends a shining ray far down the future's broad'ning way."
Hymn: “O Master, Let Me Walk with Thee” – Washington Gladden (1836-1918)
Tune: MARYTON

I’m 64 years old, semi-retired… and am still trying to figure out what I want to be! Maybe it is the extra time on my hands. Maybe it is the realization of unrealized goals. Maybe it is because I’m afraid I didn’t use all my gifts to their maximum. Either way, I have a whole different perspective on “the future’s broad’ning way,” believing that there are still challenges ahead – and trying to find them!

There is, according to this hymnline, a hope that is lighting the intended path before me… like maybe a high-intensity klieg light or followspot. To the right and to the left I may find it less well-lit, hazy… even pitch dark.

I believe, of course, this little light of mine is being powered by the Father of Light; but I also am convinced that some of the hopeful shining ray is being generated by the people who have been placed in my path… many of whom are broadening right along with me – but that’s another discussion altogether!

Those faithful friends who are dear to us, gather near to us and pat us on the back, believing in us, encouraging us to forge ahead as the horizons widen, expand, and extend beyond our imagination.

At whatever life-stage you find yourself, realize that there’s a holy light shining over your shoulder, giving you hope, however broad the way becomes.


Amy Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)