Sunday, May 4, 2014

"He whose heart is kind beyond all measure gives unto each day what he deems best, lovingly..."



"He whose heart is kind beyond all measure gives unto each day what he deems best, lovingly..."
Hymn: “Day by Day” – Caroline V. Sandell-Berg (1832-1903)
Tune: BLOTT EN DAG

We are back to one of my favorite hymn texts because it was a ‘life-changer’ for me at a crucial, transitional time in my ministry… and my life in general.

But this hymnline helps me understand why my prayers are not always answered in the way I think they should be – according to my pleas to be pleased. In his measureless kindness, God lovingly provides what is best for me as he sees my journey from his perspective.

Some of you will remember the black-and-white television show “Father Knows Best” with Robert Young in the title role. It has sort of become a joke over the years for the doting wife dressed in pearls to greet her husband home from work, the children who always learn the life lesson for the day, and the patches on the elbows of the father’s tweed jacket.

But the title holds true for us who call God our Father… our Holy Parent: Father knows best. And when his plan doesn’t match ours, we have to understand that he is lovingly giving us what is to our ultimate advantage.

Babbie Mason’s great song comes to mind:
    “God is too wise to be mistaken. God is too good to be unkind.
    When you don’t understand.
    When you can’t trace his hand.
    When you can’t see his plan, trust his heart.


But at the heart of the hymnline for today is the heart that is kind beyond all measure. No measurement of space, time, length, depth, height, weight, circumference, mass… you name it: the heart of God is kind beyond all possible charting.

And whatever he gives me today, I know it will be for my best… whether I yet understand it or not.

Antrim Mennonite Choir



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)