Friday, April 4, 2014

"And when I think that God his Son not sparing sent him to die, I scarce can take it in."


Hymn: “How Great Thou Art” – Words & Music by Stuart K. Hine (1899-1989)
Tune: O STORE GUD

Again, we turn to that oft-skipped third stanza* for today’s hymnline! Of all the third stanzas not to be avoided, this would be the one!

“I scarce can take it in.” I almost wish they inserted instructions in the hymnal to pause for several seconds before moving on with the remainder of the stanza, because my mind and heart get stuck on this phrase every time – because as much theological education as I may have, as many Sunday school classes as I’ve sat through and/or taught, as many sermons as I have endured… I mean “enjoyed” over the years – and though I’ve been singing about the redemptive power of the cross throughout my entire life – still, “I can barely take it in.”

You know what? I’m glad that I can’t. I’m truly pleased that there is not only POWER in the blood, there is also MYSTERY. I’m very careful to never spout off about all I know about the wonder-working power of the spilled blood of the Lamb. Anything I say cannot approach the reality of what God did when the un-sparing sacrifice was made.

By definition, “to spare” means that the person is not allowed to suffer or be injured… or, of course, killed.  So the use here of “not sparing” means that God allowed the death of his only Son. That’s why there is no way we mere mortals can comprehend what transpired; it is beyond our grasp.

I hope I never get to the point that I can sing this hymnline without pause. I never want to take it for granted.

Hear a Beautiful Instrumental Setting of This Hymn

* Note: This hymn was translated from the Swedish into English and set to this tune by Stuart K. Hine in 1949. THIS stanza was actually written by Hine and is not a translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)