Friday, February 7, 2014

"Just the time I need him, he's always near."

"Just the time I need him, he's always near."
Hymn: “He Lives” – Words & Music by Alfred H. Ackley (1887-1960)
Tune: ACKLEY

Although we attach this hymn to Easter, it truly is a “sing anytime you want to” kind of text because it highlights the truth that Christ is a living, active force in the world… even today. When I was growing up, this was one of our standard congregational songs throughout the year – whenever Carl Whaley got the urge to include it!

We have to admit that for the most part, we are ‘needy’ people. Hopefully, we are not the archetypical sad-eyed caricature of the one who always needs attention or one who considers himself/herself entitled. On the other hand, we do find ourselves lacking – some days more than others. We are, after all, “sinners, poor and needy, weak and wounded, sick and sore.”

A common theme in this kind of gospel song is the nearness of Christ anytime we call on him… whenever we find ourselves in need. Usually when we sing past a hymnline like this, we grin a little, and a light flickers in our eye because we believe this to be true.

Looking back over my prayer life, I have to admit that I turned to Christ for assistance in situations that seemed to be a need at the moment, but which later seemed pretty insignificant. However, I have the feeling he responded as if my need were as major as I thought it was at the time – and his response was lovingly kind. It is possible that his intervention may have been why that perceived-need didn’t turn into the kind of dilemma into which it might have evolved!

I hope this hymnline will remind us all of the Savior’s nearness: never far away, right at my elbow - ready to listen, show concern, and act according to my best interest. It’s one of the truths of my faith-walk I hold dear.

Hear Alan Jackson Sing This Hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)