Thursday, February 6, 2014

"I'd rather have Jesus."

"I'd rather have Jesus."
Hymn: “I’d Rather Have Jesus” – Rhea F. Miller (1894-1966)
Tune: I’D RATHER HAVE JESUS

I’m using a hymnline that is also the hymn-title and the hymn-tune name!

Many of us grew up hearing George Beverly Shea (the tune’s composer) croon this song on the televised Billy Graham Crusades. No one has – or ever will – sing it quite like he did!

The upshot of this hymn is simple: I’d rather have Jesus than you name it.

There is not much else to be said about the hymnline – there is much to be said about our application of its truth to our actual hierarchy of priorities and how we in reality live those out in our daily lives. In other words, as I sing this hymn, am I being truthful? Or am I simply verbalizing someone else’s testimony? Worst of all, am I singing a lie?

This is often true of hymns we sing corporately: preferring Jesus over anything is a noble goal, perhaps not yet achieved in my own life.

It’s a question we all have to deal with on our own while not being judgmental of anyone else down the pew. It would be great if we could all sing the final line with all sincerity and commitment: “I’d rather have Jesus than anything this world affords (offers me) today.”

Hear George Beverly Shea Sing His Hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)