Friday, November 8, 2013

"I sing because I'm happy! I sing because I'm free!



“I sing because I’m happy! I sing because I’m free!”
Hymn: “His Eye Is on the Sparrow” – Civilla D. Martin (1860-1948)
Tune: SPARROW

Most of us think this is an African American spiritual because it has been so often sung by some of our favorite black singers and was made popular by Ethel Waters’ singing of it at the Billy Graham crusades in the 1950’s and 60’s. But the text writer was a Canadian white lady, and the man who wrote the music provided us with many other familiar hymns and gospel songs like “Since Jesus Came into My Heart,” “Just When I Need Him Most,” and “I Stand Amazed in the Presence.” That’s enough hymnology for today, class.

Ever wonder WHY you sing hymns, gospel songs, anthems, choruses? Why you spend several minutes in a service of worship placing great words on top of musical pitches? If it’s just for the musical experience, you are missing the point.

According to this song, after a week of discouragement, life in the shadows, loneliness, homesickness, temptation and care-filled existence, we stand together and ask ourselves the question that opens this hymn: “Why should I be discouraged” when Jesus is my constant friend?

Sing because you are happy, you are free… redeemed, included, loved, graced, privileged – and the list goes on.

No other religion relies as heavily on singing their beliefs as Christians do. No other group gives voice to their tenets and testimonies in song like we do. It is a privilege and an honor to sing together. So do! And do it with all joy and enthusiasm – whether the song is loud or quiet, exuberant or meditative.

In worship this week, fold not thine arms and listen; open up thy mouth and sing. Thou hast good reason.

Whitney Houston Sings This Hymn

Ethel Waters at Hawaii Billy Graham Crusade


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)