Monday, October 14, 2013

"... to never speak a hurtful word."


Hymn: “O God, We Ask for Strength” – Larry Schultz (1965-     )
Tune: ST. AGNES

There are only a few binding laws that I have imposed on my life, but this is one of them. After many years of hurting other people’s feelings too freely, I realized that it had to stop. I had used that James-tongue entirely too much, usually to put someone in their place or to elevate my own. That’s not a good method for a minister. So somewhere along the way – and I can’t point to an exact time or situation – I told myself that I would never again purposefully hurt anyone in any way, especially verbally.  

I have never been a sand-lot fighter. To the best of my knowledge, I have never picked a fist fight with anybody; and the very few scuffles in which I’ve found myself were initiated by someone else. But angry words: those were my fists – and I would readily put up those dukes when cornered. I by no means drew blood; instead, I drew tears. I didn’t leave skin bruises; I left banged-up hearts and lowered self-esteems in my wake.

This contemporary hymn penned by a friend of mine from my North Carolina days begins with “O God, we ask for strength to lead a gentle, caring life.” I love every line of this hymn, but each time we sing past “… to never speak a hurtful word,” I am reminded of the commitment I made to myself, to my God, and to my fellow humans.

As binding as this law is upon my life, I will occasionally break it; and when I do, I am the one who hurts most… and I usually withdraw the sword and become a healer. I have always been non-confrontational, but I’ve not always been a peacemaker. Making another feel small in order to make myself feel more important is not a Christlike action or attitude; and if reflecting my Savior is truly one of my life goals, then I have to set aside actions and attitudes that run counter to that goal.

Today – and every day from now on – recall this hymn-line the next time you find yourself about to lay someone low… bring them down to size… put them in their place. What would Jesus do? He certainly would never speak a hurtful word. I'm pretty sure of it.


NOTE: Like many strong hymn texts, this one appears only in the Baptist Hymnal 1991! Hopefully, some other publisher will pick it up and include it in future books!



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)