Sunday, September 8, 2013

"Adoration leaves no room for pride."

"Adoration leaves no room for pride."
Hymn: “When in Our Music God Is Glorified” – Fred Pratt Green (1903-     )
Typical Tune: ENGLEBERG

This new hymn (1972) is one you may have not sung, especially if you are in a projector-driven service where for the most part only the hymns with familiar tunes are included. Even so, this one would be worth teaching to any congregation and making it as familiar as “How Great Thou Art”!

It’s common lack of use notwithstanding, Fred Pratt Green's hymn is filled with wonderful phrases about worship – especially the musical elements. It ranks right up there with “Fill the Earth with Music.” :) … or perhaps it’s the other way around!

This hymn-line drives home a very, very important truth about what happens when engaged in acts of adoration – or worship: there is no room for the ego! My personal pride must be set aside in order that I can express how proud I am of God… how much he is revered… what a high value we place on him. In order for him to be magnified (increase), I take the place of humility (decrease). See John 3:30.

To put that into the language of music, I must decrescendo so he must crescendo!

There is no place for show business in the worship business. Entertainment is not commensurate with a spirit of sincere worship. I am startled by it every time I sing this hymn; fortunately the congregations I have led most recently have known and appreciated this hymn. It is one I catch myself singing on my own – a lot actually – because I need to be reminded of this as much as anyone: hubris and holiness are not compatible.

It doesn’t mean that my personal tastes must be set aside in order that the person down the pew from me can exercise his/her preferences. To me, this says that when we approach the throne together, we ALL have to ‘check our pride at the door.’ The narthex of every church in the world this morning should be stacked to the ceiling with pride-backpacks left there by those who have entered the sanctuaries/worship centers. Perhaps we need to install a pride-check closet instead of a coat-check closet!

You’ve heard the phrase “my pride and joy”? In worship, these two cannot genuinely coexist. We should be going after a pride-less joy. It could revolutionize corporate worship, especially if all of us in the room – the leaders and the participants – all of us set aside the deadly sin* of pride. When that happens, I think the adoration that emerges might be unprecedented, overwhelming.

It is a more exciting thought that I can get my mind around. I’m sincerely waiting for that to happen one Sunday morning – maybe even this week.

  * The seven deadly sins are: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony. Most would say that pride is at the root of the other six!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)