Saturday, August 3, 2013

"Lord, I would clasp my hand in thine, nor ever murmur or repine, content whatever lot I see."

"Lord, I would clasp my hand in thine, nor ever murmur or repine, content whatever lot I see."

Hymn: “He Leadeth Me” – Joseph H. Gilmore (1834-1918)
Tune: HE LEADETH ME

We’re sort of back to that and he walks with me and he talks with me hymn again, but I see this one  to be more like a child who grabs ahold of an adult’s hand, fully believing there is safety in that grasp. Walking hand-in-hand with the Savior is something we all aspire to … shoulder-to-shoulder in locked step… going only where his trajectory leads.

Picture this, if you will: The Lord Jesus extends his hand and looks you in the eye. You’re invited to place your hand in that nail-scarred hand, but you are not forced to accept the gesture – you don’t even feel obligated. But you clasp your palm into his, and you feel the sudden strong squeeze that reassures you that you have made the right move. Although we may visualize the two of you walking together, that may not happen; he may just stand there with you – perfectly still in the midst of chaos. Sometimes that’s what we need: not necessarily a walking buddy but a standing companion. “Just hold my hand while I work my way through this situation,” might be our request – sort of like “All I need is a hug.”

I get into this hymn-line every time I sing it, and I’ve been singing it most of my life – since my earliest memories of congregational singing in the white wood-frame church that was Pigeon Forge Baptist Church before we moved over into the big brick building on the parkway… next door to what is now Dwight Maples’ motel… and changed our name to The First Baptist Church of Pigeon Forge.

I love to imagine hanging on for dear life to hand of my Lord the Christ. And I like promising him that I won’t complain about my life – that I’ll be content in whatever state I find myself… even Texas! :)

It is not an easy promise to make because we seem to need to vent our frustrations and our unhappinesses. But unlike a fairly recent best-seller, I have never been disappointed with God. I have been disappointed with my own decisions and mistakes. I have been disappointed by God’s people. But I have never been disappointed with God. And despite having sung this promise for over sixty years now, I have occasionally complained to God about my situation and have not always been as contented as Elsie.

It is still my intention. It is still my prayer because this hymn-line concludes with “content whatever lot I see, since ‘tis thy hand that leadeth me.” ‘Tis still his hand… and sometimes he has to squeeze a little harder to remind me of my promises and my commitments to him and to his Kingdom.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)