Friday, August 16, 2013

"In ev'ry trying hour, my sure and certain refuge, my never-failing tow'r."


Hymn: "I Saw the Cross of Jesus" - Frederick Whitfield (1829-1904)
Common Tune: WHITFIELD

I'm the artistic director for Waxahachie's Old Fashioned Singing Project, a local non-profit (www.WaxaOFS.com). One of the American brush-arbor gospel songs we sing is "Where Could I Go But to the Lord?" When we sing today's hymn-line in worship, I revert to my growing-upl roots and am reminded of that old gospel song - because the message is basically the same.

In every trying hour, the cross of Christ seems to rise from the situation and become my sure and certain refuge, my never-failing tower. It's the place I turn to. After all, where else could I go? Why would I go anywhere else? If that refuge - that secure place - that safe room - is available to me, why should I keep trying to hide out in less-protected place?


In today's society, I'm offered many escape routes when life is going haywire on me - or when I am sinking deep in sin. Any of those which are not in the shadow of the cross are probably not best for me.

Proverbs 18:12 - "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and is safe." It is that place where I am safe and secure from all alarms.

Most of us can count on one hand - maybe on one finger - everything in our lives that are sure, certain and never-failing. I'll give you a moment to calculate that. When you've completed that assignment, I hope that the cross and One whose life was taken and freely given there are on your list - at the top of your list - maybe the only ones on your list!

A television-commercial-promoted product may claim to be 'all that,' but only that dear dying Lamb can truly live up to that kind of promise. He is my sure and certain, unassailable shelter in the time of storm - a tower to which I can run for safety, slam the door behind me and feel perfectly defended from whatever is chasing me. You've heard of being "out of harm's way"? This is it. Look no further.

Where could I go but to the Lord? Why should I? Why would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on any of the posts. They are sent to ME directly. Thanks for any feedback you would like to make.

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)

Hymnlines - Hemlines: Get it?! :)